When we first launched Grey Face Rescue & Retirement in October 2015, we had SO MANY hopes and dreams but knew we had to start from square one. After almost three years of rescuing senior dogs in need in Minnesota, our team has made great strides, but our work is far from done.
Imagine how many lives could be saved if we had space to take in more animals. Imagine how much good we could do for seniors working together with YOU!
We receive MANY inquiries from pet owners needing to rehome their senior dogs due to veterinary care, behavioral issues or just plain lack of resources. With so many inquiries daily, we continue to face struggles that, in return, risk the lives of homeless seniors and urgent cases. We want to expand and add services to our rescue that will decrease the number of seniors being rehomed or surrendered so furry family members can remain with the familiar faces they so love and trust.
We are excited to introduce multiple programs that will decrease the number of homeless senior dogs in Minnesota. We are seeking to expand this summer to a facility that will enable us to offer senior pet owners services such as training, low-cost spay/neuter and health care clinics, supplies specifically for seniors and much more. We take pride in welcoming all seniors without putting a price tag on their life, but as a small Central Minnesota organization, we can only say YES to those for which we have available funding and resources. We want to say YES! Not only YES! to continuing to welcome senior dogs into our rescue but YES! to assisting senior pet owners with needs that will help keep their companions at home when possible. With a new facility and potential partnerships, this dream is possible!
Our new facility will allow us to offer:
- 1) Indoor/Outdoor Private Off-Leash Dog Park: We hope to provide a private fenced-in, off-leash dog park for dog owners and foster parents seeking an exercise option for their animals without the company of other dogs.
This will help decrease stress for dogs and people visiting this area.
- 2) Facility visits: With our new location, our senior dogs can visit throughout the workday while fosters are away or while they are on vacation. This will give the community an opportunity to meet our dogs and give them additional TLC they need. By offering facility visits, we will increase our adoption rates.
- 3) Short-term and emergency boarding: Boarding options will decrease the number of seniors set to be euthanized because no urgenct housing is available. We will offer an immediate safe option for housing until a foster or adoptive home is found.
- 4) Affordable training: We will provide regular training sessions with licensed trainers. By offering affordable training opportunities conducted by an expert hand, we hope to decrease the number of dogs surrendered to rescues and shelters due to behavior.
- 5) Low-cost spay and neuter clinics: We are partnering with one of our local veterinary clinics to offer low-cost spay and neuter clinics in hopes of reducing the overpopulation of homeless animals in Central Minnesota.
- 6) Chip and Clip clinics: We will provide monthly “chip and clip” clinics to the community. By offering a low-cost option to assist owners with this task, we will give more animals a better quality life.
- 7) Grooming options: We would like to build a grooming room to provide full grooms to our seniors dogs when they enter rescue, prior to meet and greets and adoptions as well as when needed. Groomers who provide this care will have the ability to rent our grooming room for a fee to open up grooming spots to the public.
This is where YOU come in. First, we have identified a facility that has indoor and outdoor space comfortable for training sessions, clinics, retail, foster supplies and working space for volunteers. To acquire this facility we need a word you hear far too often from us -- and that's funding. To continue to run the facility, we will need funding, which we'll secure through donations, grants, sponsorships, sales and services. Third, we need partnerships for things such as maintenance businesses specializing in lawn care, snow removal, building maintenance and more.
With help from the community, pet owners, businesses, supporters and the public, we will create a great facility that caters to senior pets in need and senior pet owners that find themselves without resources. With your help, we can do this!
We really need you and your support NOW! We've come a long way in three years, but continued progress and the future of so many relies on all of us pulling together. Please, if you can send any amount our way, we would appreciate it. We are also open to in-kind donations. And, if you are able to SHARE our story and our needs with others, we and all of the amazing seniors we help would really appreciate it!
Executive Director, Grey Face Rescue & Retirement